How to Clean Bamboo Floors [Full Guide]
Bamboo flooring is strong, durable, and easy to clean. It is a natural, eco-friendly flooring choice. Bamboo floors come in many varieties. They require regular maintenance to keep their shine. Dirt particles from shoes and pet’s paws embed in the bamboo. This can create scratches or dents. A simple trick is to remove shoes and place doormats at all entrances. It’s important to sweep every day.
You’ll find everything you need to know about cleaning bamboo floors right here.
This article will cover:
- The best tools and cleaning products to make bamboo floors shine
- How to clean bamboo floors, from general to heavy cleaning
- The best maintenance tips to keep bamboo floors healthy
- A bonus tip on how to revive your bamboo flooring
- Maintain bamboo flooring by promptly cleaning any spills, scuffs, or dirt.
- Make sure to use as little water as possible when mopping.
- The best tools for cleaning bamboo floors are microfiber mops and cloths, and soft bristle brooms.
- Do an intense clean once a week to remove stains, scuffs, and scratches.
- There are many different ways to maintain your bamboo floors.
- Revive bamboo floors by…
How to Make Bamboo Floors Shine – A Guide
You can make your bamboo floors shine by following this simple guide.
Tools for Cleaning Bamboo Floors
Bamboo floors are as durable as hardwood floors but are prone to denting. These are the best tools to make bamboo flooring shine.
- Soft bristle brooms or brushes – It’s best to sweep high traffic areas daily. The TreeLen broom and dustpan combo is a good broom to use.
- Microfiber mops – Use this for weekly cleaning and remove all moisture.
- Rags, tissues, or towels – You can try Scotch-Brite Reusable Wipes, which can be washed and reused unlike normal paper towels
- Vacuum – Only if fitted with a wood/bamboo floor cleaning head. Check out our advice on the best vacuum cleaners for the money. Our top pick is Shark NV356E S2 Navigator
Avoid steam mops to clean bamboo floors. The moisture will cause it to warp and discolor.
Cleaning Products to Make Bamboo Floors Shine
Hardwood, pH-neutral cleaning products are best for bamboo floors. Wax and other oil-based cleaners can leave stains and streaks. You can try to make your own cleaning solution. Remember to avoid acidic mixtures. Vinegar and water are great but can damage your bamboo if it’s not sealed properly. Avoid using it if possible.
Cleaning Guide for Bamboo Flooring
There are different ways to care for your bamboo floors. Follow this simple cleaning guide.
The first step is to sweep your bamboo floors every day. Target high traffic areas first. This will reduce the risk of dents and scratches.
Use a microfiber mop once a week to make your bamboo floors shine. Remember to clean along the grain of the bamboo. Spray the floor with your cleaning solution and wipe it up. Be sure to clear all moisture by patting the area dry afterwards.
Deep cleaning bamboo floors isn’t as challenging as carpets. Once a week, look for scratches, scuffs, and stains. Start by sweeping and mopping the floor to remove light dirt.
Use a stain removing cleaning product that is safe for bamboo floors. Remember to read the instructions. Some solutions must soak for a bit to work. You can use a home-made solution, but it mustn’t be left to soak. Wipe it up immediately like you would with water.
Once you have your solution, rub the stain in a gentle, circular motion. Some deep stains will need multiple treatments to remove them.
Bamboo Flooring Maintenance Tips
These are simple ideas for maintaining the shine of your bamboo floors.
- Install protector pads on all furniture that makes contact with the bamboo flooring.
- Lift heavy objects instead of dragging them across the floor.
- Keep your pet’s nails short to prevent scratches.
- Make sure that your house is at 30-50% humidity if possible.
- Remove shoes before stepping onto bamboo floors.
- Follow the maintenance instructions that come from bamboo flooring manufacturers.
- Put mats by the sink in your kitchen and shower/bath in your bathroom.
- Avoid using steel wool and other such tools when cleaning.
- Water must never sit for long periods; it will warp the bamboo.
- Vacuum cleaners with beater bars will damage your bamboo flooring.
- Mats with latex and rubber backings trap moisture; avoid using them.
- Never steam clean your bamboo floors.
- Sports shoes with cleats and high heels will leave dents; take them off at the door.
BONUS: Ways to Revive Bamboo Floors
Bamboo floors are strong but can lose their shine. The simplest way to revive bamboo flooring is with consistent cleaning. Stop using all acidic cleaning agents. Use products that are designed for reviving bamboo floors.
Rescreening bamboo floors is another good method of revival. The top layer is stripped and replaced. You can do it yourself, but it’s cheaper to ask a professional.
You might need more than that to restore your bamboo flooring. The next step is a complete refinish. Professional bamboo floor cleaners remove and replace all the layers.
Cleaning and maintaining your bamboo floors is easy. Follow this simple guide. Do it regularly and notice the difference. Your home will feel chic every day. If you have other floors in your home, check our guides on cleaning carpet or tile floors!